Wednesday, July 12, 2017

That escalated quickly....


Its summer in San Antonio, which means-  I T 'S   H O T .


That's why when we got a cloudy day I thought it was a genius idea to take the kids to jump on the trampoline.

Not surprisingly, it begun to rain.  The clouds were a deep shade of gray, after all.

"Yay!"  I told the kids "Let's JUMP in the rain!"

Katy didn't want to, but Josh seemed eager enough, so I insisted.  Even though I had a nagging fear.  Then again, I always have a nagging fear, so I shrugged it off.





Suddenly, out of nowhere-
                             
               WHOOSH!

Heaven broke open. Water cascades and strong gusts of wind started picking up the deck roofing.  It was standing up straight on its side!  Another 3 seconds, and one of the lattice walls flew across the yard, four by four beam still on it. Large tree branches were snapping off and flying across the yard.




And we were trapped in the trampoline.



It was so sudden, strong and scary that I wondered if this could be a tornado. What, with all the roof pieces standing up, fences flying and all.

I had to get us into the house, but could not snatch both kids under my arms at once.  Katy is practically my size now.  I had to pick a kid to save first, and blindly hope the other didn't get smacked with flying objects while I ran back.

It felt like "Sophie's Choice" for a moment.


I grabbed my toddler first.  


"Katy! RUN!  Follow momma!!!"
I shouted while I carried Josh like a football under my arm.




She didn't, just as I feared.  Instead, Katy froze in a panic with her hands over her ears and screamed.   I ran with Josh across the yard, through the deck and into the house, hurling him like a wet fish across the tiled flooring.  He slid backwards on his belly, hands outstretched and eyes wide in bewilderment as he watched me run back outside for his sister.

"Stay here!"  I ordered.

She was standing in the same spot where I left her.  Hands, covering her ears, screaming as she curled  into a ball against the safety netting of the trampoline.  I began waving my arms at her-

"Walk to me, Kate-kate! Im going to carry you in!"


She would not move.






So, I jumped back into the trampoline and attempted to pick her up.  She stiffened in fear, and would not budge, screaming and scratching at me.

Debris flying across the yard and laminate deck ceiling threatening to snap off and fly any second.

Being almost as tall and heavy as myself, I could not muster the strength to carry her.  Much less without her cooperation.  I grabbed her by her trunk and dragged her across the trampoline, down the steps and through our yard into the safety of our house.

We stood puddles from our drenched clothing and stared out our windows in absolute shock.


WHAT.



JUST.



HAPPENED?


We watched the storm fizzle out in mere seconds, leaving random, broken pieces of what-nots through our back yard.


Its funny how much can happen in 90 seconds.








BTW- We're all good.





1 comment:

Cynthia Snook said...

Oh. My. Goodness. You Rock! Who would have thought THAT was going to happen?