Wednesday, August 12, 2009

My 48 hour trip to nowhere- Part 2 Stranded in New York


AUGUST 6


5PM

I started looking for a way to go back home, but American Airlines was my original flight. The problem was that they had connected me with Delta Airlines from LA to New York and Berlin (eventually). After speaking with four clerks and one supervisor, I was instructed to LEAVE the terminal so that I could get on a "sky train (glorified name for some outdoor trans system)" and head to the American Airlines ticket counter.

The airport was humongous and I really got lost in it. As I circled and ran through the airport, I kept receiving calls from Isaac, all the way from Berlin.

"Honey I'm so sorry this is happening! How are you feeling?"

Well, it only takes a couple of words from a caring husband to make me bawl. He kept asking me for the latest information, too. All I knew was that

1. I was lost.
2. I was deliberately leaving my plane and now-
3. I was crying.

I eventually found the street that led to the "sky train" and crossed it like a total idiot-not knowing the designated crossing zone. I boarded that and headed to the American Airlines terminal.


5:40Pm

I arrived to the American Airlines ticket counter, where after much deliberation I was directed to the supervisor. She was a woman of African or Caribbean dissent. Her face looked like a stone carving.

I proceeded to tell her my story, about all the flight messes and how I hadn't slept or eaten in 24 hours, and how now I had a death in the family and needed to return. She looked at me with hard eyes and tight lips and a face full of mockery

"AND?!"

"um.... I just told you my story. I need to go home. I need the airline to fix the errors and send me home."

"Your flight got changed 'cuz of weather. The airline is not responsible for that."
"Yes. But I was sent to Los Angeles and left to sleep on the floor."

"That was YOUR choice," She said unmercifully. "You CHOSE to get on that plane and now you have to deal with the consequences of your decision!"

"But I was given eight minutes to run across the airport and catch the flight! I had no further information and I had to run to make it before the gate closed!"

"AND?!" Again with the mocking look.

I was already on the emotional edge, and Isaac's phone calls had made me very vulnerable. I broke. I cried.

"Why are you being so mean to me? I need a solution! I have to go back and I cant buy another ticket! I need a refund or some other way. Im not even going to Berlin anymore."

By now the other workers began to tease the supervisor.

"You're mean!" they chanted right in front of me "Look! You made her cryyy!"


The supervisor's eyes circled around at her coworkers. Her gaze finally fell on me. She had a different look.

"Come with me," she said.



And yes, it gets- WEIRDER. Stick around for part 3

6 comments:

Sheyla Martinez said...

I can't wait to read the rest of the story... You're such a great storyteller. When is the book going to be published by the way?

Anonymous said...

I will not agree on it. I think precise post. Expressly the title-deed attracted me to be familiar with the intact story.

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool blog you've got here. Thanks the author for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. BTW, try to add some images :).

Anonymous said...

I have found it on this website called [url=http://tipswift.com]tip swift[/url]. You can find it there.
cheers
edit: wrong thread,

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

制服酒店經紀,