Sunday, March 8, 2009

Im still a sucker for sappy romance

I have been real disenchanted when it comes to romance from the past centuries. In my mind, I imagined a world where feelings were regarded as foolishness and therefore completely ignored. Well imagine my surprise as I discovered the following painting about a Huguenot and his Catholic lover:



Here's what makes the picture extra special: I am a Huguenot descendant. Now, here is the ultra short explanation of the Huguenots. They lived in France about five hundred years ago, when Martin Luther began his protestant movement (doing "outrageous" things like translating the bible so that everyone could read it, not just the priests). The Huguenots were deeply transformed by Luther and his vision (And also Calvin, but lets not dive so deep into this ocean), that they cast off their Catholic commitments to follow Martin Luther's vision.

This is LUTHER- the movie about the dude I'm talking about(He changed the world):




Well, you know what happened. It was a bloody mess. Literally. Infidels were persecuted and murdered. My Huguenot family ended up fleeing to Ireland for safety, where they eventually migrated to Canada and United States. Now, understanding the scope of this religious alliance, along with all its implications, take one more look at the painting above and tell me-

Is it not more tragically romantic than Romeo and Juliet???

*sigh*

3 comments:

TMI Tara said...

*sigh* so tragic!

I will forever be a sucker for romance, especially tragic romance that never could be.

Eudae-Mamia said...

Wow - excellent story. The Huguenot history, and your family's.

Ireland, huh? Left with the PKU gene as a souvenir? Us too :-).

I adore religious history. More fascinating than any fiction could hope to be.

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

制服酒店經紀,