Thursday, February 19, 2009

More than Words

A little more than a year ago, I found msyelf speaking to a woman at the mall who had a special needs child. She gave me a lot of tips and advice for speech delays. The one that struck out the most to me was about sign language. She advised me to use it sparingly, lest my daughter resort to it instead of vocal speech. I thought she sounded absolutely right, I would not let Katy take the easy way out.

But recently, Katy has developed quite a good sign language vocabulary (is that even how you say it). Her therapists and I have taught her a few basic words ("eat," "drink," "ouch," "ball," "give me," etc.) I can see Katy's excitement when she can communicate something to me, even if its not via words.

Today, she was watching a baby Einstein video that she hasn't watched in months. Its called "Baby Wordsworth" and it teaches all the basic vocabulary having to do with the house. Whats more, they put a person signing the word as it is spoken, illustrated and written.

Katy was so excited that she litterally tripped over and fell! The people were signing the very same words she already knew. They signed "blanket" and she signed "blanket." They signed "tree" and she signed "tree." She was so wild with excitement that she began to twirl and run through the house as she watched and participated with the video, each time running to me so that I could see that she understood.

I was floored with exitement. Suddenly, my daughter could talk to me! I decided that night to scrap the whole "make her use her voice" plan. Katy has been trapped in herself for long enough, and if she wants to kick off with sign language, so be it.

4 comments:

Kara said...

This is simply just wonderful.

Amy Kate said...

I just linked over here after seeing your video explaining PKU on "life, liberty, and the pursuit..." - LOVE IT - I have a niece who is 9 who has PKU and I feel like we should carry around your video for all the nosy pants who think, somehow, that they can crack the code to diet for a kid with PKU. Because, you know, "She can just eat like a vegetarian, I don't know what the big deal is" never gets old. EVER. Especially since it is so incorrect.
Anyway, so I link over here, and here you are talking about Katy signing, which is amazing because my youngest is going for some evaluations for speech delay and I'm going to start trying to do some signing with her.
You are clearly my new favorite blogger!! Thanks so much!

Patyrish said...

Ahhhhhh this brings tears to my eyes.
I too have heard the "don't push sign too much" rule of thought before.

I think it's wise to push BOTH spoken and signed words with a special needs child. Everything is already so much harder for them. I think giving them an alternative way to communicate helps SO MUCH with the frustration that they must be feeling in not being able to verbalize what they want.

It makes me smile so much to know that Katy was so happy that she could participate with the video. I need to see a video of her again, it's been a while.

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

制服酒店經紀,