Thursday, February 26, 2009

Psychoneurotic dog- the yelping episode

One day I will write the crazy story of how Cookie came to be a part of my family, but let me skip ahead to a hilarious moment of confusion- starring Cookie, as herself.


I was eight months pregnant, and Isaac was away on a trip. Cookie spent nearly 24 hours circling around the computer desk. Litterally, circle, circle, circle, circle- ad nauseum. Cookie had OCD (obsesive compulsive dissorder) issues, so I usually ignored it. Except this time there was YELPING. This is what the entire day sounded like:

pit.pat.pit.pat.pit.pat-



AURR! AUUUR!! AAAUUUURRR!


*whimper*



pit.pat.pit.pat.pit.pat-




AURR! AUUUR!! AAAUUUURRR!


*whimper*




pit.pat.pit.pat.pit.pat-



AURR! AUUUR!! AAAUUUURRR!


*whimper*



You get the picture. Since she was walking around the power strip to which all my computer gadgets were connected to, I wondered if there was some sort of electrical discharge coming from there. Of course, being eight months pregnant I was not about to touch the darn thing. Cookie would suffice as a lab rat.

"Look!" I pointed excitedly at the power strip "Cookie! Look!"

Cookie would press her black, wet nose right up against it. Sniff, sniff sniff-

No yelping. Now, I was very confused. I could see nothing else that could be provoquing all that doggy yelping. Still, my psychoneurotic dog continued with her stupid endevor.

pit.pat.pit.pat.pit.pat-



AURR! AUUUR!! AAAUUUURRR!


*whimper*



pit.pat.pit.pat.pit.pat-




AURR! AUUUR!! AAAUUUURRR!


*whimper*




pit.pat.pit.pat.pit.pat-



AURR! AUUUR!! AAAUUUURRR!


*whimper*



After a few hours, I decided to look at everything one more time. This time, I got down on the floor, belly and all, and watched Cookie do her stupid thing. I noticed that she always yelped on the same tile. When I finally looked at the tile, I discovered that it had a little tiny hole. Cookie was getting her toe nail stuck every time she walked over it, but that didnt stop her from circling and cicling. This went on all day and all night.

A week later, I had to move my desk and dicovered the motive of her obsession. An old tennis ball had rolled under the desk and she could not get it. I suppose that she figured running around in circles would help a great deal.

Dumb dog.

ps- this is me at about the same time in my pregnancy