Friday, November 28, 2008

Bleh!

No particular day seems like the "right" one to wake up at four in the morning, but this one feels especially cruel. It could be the combination  of sinus problems with a few days of sleep depravation that makes this morning feel a bit undoable.  But there is nothing that a cup of starbuck's chai latte can't make better (Im so glad I swiped it from my mother-in-law's house).

For no apparent reason, Katy decided to wake up at this ungodly hour.  When I say "decided"  I mean it.  There are times when she can just whine and complain and still stay in bed.  Not this morning.  Today, she was decidedly up.  If you're a parent, you should know what I'm talking about.  You know its way too early to wake up when "Nick at Night" is still playing.  How do you explain that to a toddler?  How about-

"Dora is still in her bed going night night- like daddy."

 In all fairness, I told my husband to stay in bed so he could swap sleep breaks with me later in the day.  I hope sleep and I can reconcile later on, since I tend to be too wired through the day.  But, this would be a good time to reminiscence the events that made my thanksgiving holiday memorable.


The Refried Beans Exploded

You know you're in Mexico when you can say that about your thanksgiving meal.  My mother in law decided to make our thanksgiving meal stretch by taking the refried beans and adding them to the buffet line.  

Did you know that you can't warm food up in the microwave with the topper lid still on?  The beans made it out of the microwave just fine, but decided to blow their top when the entire family was lined up for the buffet.  There was a loud popping sound, much like when you open a bottle of champagne. Suddenly, everyone was wearing beans.  Even the ceiling sported the new look.  Its hard not to make jokes, considering we're in Mexico, but I'll leave those to your imagination.


From The Mouth's of Babe's

It seems like I never really got moved on to the adult table.  I always end up sitting with the kiddo's feeling a little left out.  At least this time, I get to sit with my husband.  But we sat with our new little nieces.  Not too long ago, my brother in law married a young woman who had two little girls.  It was our first thanksgiving together, and I decided to break the ice with the "do you have a boyfriend" cliche.  They argued back and forth about it.  

"I have a boyfriend,"  I told them "Isaac is my boyfriend."

"He's not your boyfriend!  He's your husband!"  The little girls said

"He's my husband-boyfriend,"  I answered.

"We love each other so much,"  Isaac explained "that its like were boyfriend and girlfriend."

"Oh!  Like mommy and daddy!"  The little one exclaimed, speaking of her new daddy- my brother in law.   By now, everyone was in on the conversation. 

"Well... sort of... because they fight all the time."

There was an awkward moment of silence.  It was extremely uncomfortable, since this was the first time that all of our new family was together- including both sets of  in-laws.  In what seemed an eternity, the silence was finally broken by Isaac's chuckles.  These only inspired the little girl to go further into detail, but she was abruptly interrupted by her mom, who ordered her to get more food and stay quiet.



OK, Katy is fussing now, so I gotta go play.  The caffeine effects are kicking in and I think I can do this...