Monday, October 27, 2008

the thing about choking in public...


It had been a long and grueling day and I was particularly crabby.  To think that it was only five o'clock and the worst hadn't even begun.  This afternoon Katy was especially kranky, and it was driving me bonkers.   By the late afternoon, I decided to calmly face the situation.

"Isaac!  Get your butt up!  We're taking her out!  I can't stand it!  I CAN'T STAND IT!"

In two minutes we were in the car, headed for the mall.  Inside the mall was a little toddler play center that Katy loved.  I was sure that taking her there would change her mood.  

We weren't even out of the car by the time I lost my temper.  Things didn't get better as I dropped the stroller and the diaperbag in the parking lot.  In fact, I nearly lost it right then and there.  That's when it hit me-

I was starving!

No wonder things seemed so frustrating.  I told Isaac to please take Katy to the play area while I grabbed something small to hold me down.  (We had guests that night and would be having a late dinner).

There's something about sitting alone in a public place that makes you feel like a bit of a loser.   Nevertheless, I grabbed my chicken stuffed "gordita (the real deal is actually tiny)"  and sat in the middle of the food court. At long last, I would take a bite. 

 It went down the wrong pipe.  I imediately started gagging, coughing and choking.  

And I forgot to buy a drink. 

The choking and coughing was so severe that tears began pouring down my face.  Now, black mascara covered my eyes and cheeks and I grabed a napkin to wipe it off.  The napkin had salsa on it, and now my eyes were burning as I started to lose my vision.  I was still choking.

I stood up and stumbled across the food court with the diaperbag still on my shoulder.  I'm not quite sure what I was thinking, but I was making my way towards the bathrooms.  I hadn't made it all the way to the door when I realized that Katy's sippy cup was in the diaper bag.

In plain view of the public, I took it and began to chug.  But the water merely dribbled.  I needed to flush things down, if you know what I mean.   So, I walked up to the nearest food stand and banged on the counter.  An attendant rushed up to me.

"Coke!"  Cough, cough.  "I'm choking!  Quick!"

The attendant rushed to the fridge and got me the first can of coke that she could find.  Dropping a bunch of change on the counter, I opened the coke and guzzled it down.  The attendant looked at me, bewildered.

"You gonna be OK?" she asked

"Yeahhhhhhh..."  I sighed with relief.

All eyes were on me as I walked back to my table.  All I needed now was for my food to be missing.  As I approached, I could see my half eaten gordita still on the table.  All was well, and I was alive.  

"The good thing about hitting rock bottom is that you dont get lower than that," I thought to myself as  I sunk my teeth into my food.


5 comments:

Carolyn said...

Wow. Okay, that definitely qualifies as a very bad day! Poor you!

Glad you survived it. :)

We have a play place in our local mall, too - I swear I would not have lasted this long without it!

Kara said...

That does sound like a good day. At least the lady asked if you would be OK. I think if it had been at my mall you would have died before you ever got the coke!

Glad your OK!

Did the play area at least get Katy to calm down and be in a better mood?

cimientos2008 said...

Kara

No. Turns out she had caught a flu and we were getting the preview. Two days later we took her to the ER.

All is well now, it was just a violent virus. Its gone now, and we only have phlegm to deal with.

Patyrish said...

OMG!!!!!!!

nEW RULE, YOU ARE NEVER ALLOWED TO EAT AGAIN WITHOUT HAVING A DRINK NEARBY.

Be glad the lady didnt jump over the counter and do the heimlich instead of handing you the coke. CAN YOU IMAGINE?

the salsa in the eye.....done that myself......here I thought it was just me...no wonder I love you so much!

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

制服酒店經紀,