Saturday, December 22, 2007

Baby Steps to Christmas




I dont remember looking forward to christmas this way since... well, since I was a child. The last two christmas holidays have been the saddest, most horrible ones I have ever lived.

On my first christmas as a mom, Katy was only two months old. She was suffering terribly. My little girl contracted a serious lung virus that threatened her life. Not only that, she was experiencing constant pain because of an undiagnosed conditon that went unnoticed until a year later. As if that wasnt enough, she developed a umbilical hernia the size of a lemon, and had persistent diarreah that lasted more than three months. My little trooper was not a happy camper on her first christmas. Days later, she was admitted to a hospital for lung treatments.



The following year, Katy was diagnosed (late) with Phenylketunoria, a genetic metabolic dissorder in which protein cannot be broken down. If it goes untreated, the protein accumulates in the blood stream causing serious brain injury. In Katy's case she developed hypotonia, west syndrome (a very serious form of epilepsy), loss of melanin, insomnia, loose joints and many other complications. We were told that we might never even get to see our daughter walk. That second christmas morning Katy and I woke up very early as she experienced the worst seizure of her life. I was so shattered that I wondered If I would ever recover.



And here we are now, ready to celebrate our third christmas together. Its amazing how much has changed since then. Against every odd, Katy has made an amazing recovery. Her epliepsy has inexplicably vanished- even to the point that the neurologist has wondered if she ever had it at all. This month, Katy has begun to take her first steps and now she is even taking a shot at trying to speak.

After a life time of waiting, I am so thrilled to finally share the joy of my favorite holiday with my daughter. Shes so full of curiosity and I know that she will get a kick out of opening her presents. I cant wait to pull out the camcorder and capture her very "first" christmas. I am eternally greatful for being a part and a witness of her unfolding miracle. Life captivates her with awe and wonder.

Oh, Jesus! You've filled me with hope. What better gift could I recieve?

6 comments:

simplydave said...

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

Came your way from the WW1 blog.

Ammu said...

Hi Michelle,
I saw your comment on the Harry Lamin WW1 blog. I am a journalist and work at the London bureau of ABC News (US). I am currently working on a story for www.abcnews.com on the Harry Lamin blog. I was wondering if one of you could spare a few minutes of your time to let me know what drew you to the blog and what you thought about it? Also, what do you think made the Lamin blog such a success with so many logging on to read the next installment from his letters?
I would love to hear from you, either via email on ammu.kannampilly@gmail.com or ammu.x.kannampilly.-ND@abc.com or I can call you tomorrow morning, if you give me your number. I very much hope that you might find the time to speak with me or email me. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much for your time!
Best regards, Ammu

michelle hays said...

Ammu, how do I get in touch with you? I dont have access to your profile. Did you subscribe to comments here? If you did, here's your answer:

I was drawn to the blog because it was featured on the eblogger
website. I am a collector of historical things, owning newspaper articles that date back to 1773. I collect gadgets such as civil war bullets, negro partrol badges(from the times of slavery), ancient greek coins, and much more.

Im also aware that history is in the making, so I have collected lots of september 11 material, and even have some Iraqi money with Saddam Hussein's face on it. I have also writen in journals for over 15 years.

I find that personal history is the most interesting of all (take
Anne Frank, for example).

Harry's blog targets my interests precisely. I feel like my computer is a vortex that takes me back in time as I await for my next letter or parcel. Is he ok? What stories does he have to tell? Its so neat to be an active participant in a real life novel. How interactive!

michelle hays said...

oh my gosh. Im such an idiot. Sure, I can write, but Can I read? Sorry, I will email to the address provided...

Duh!

Ammu said...

Hey Michelle,
This is great - thank you so much! I just need a little more information about you - your occupation, age, and where you live - just to introduce your quotes into my piece. I will surely send you an email when the piece is published. My email address is ammu.kannampilly@gmail.com
Thanks!
Ammu

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

制服酒店經紀,